Dr. B's Blog
DR. B’s BLOG
The Hebrew Academy's recent Annual Fundraising Matching Campaign entitled "Celebrating Excellence" was a smashing success. Not only did we reach our goal of $250,000, but with a record 91% parent participation rate, we exceeded it by an amazing $20,000. - - no small accomplishment in today's competitive philanthropic environment.
Upon reflection, one can attribute this success to a wide variety of factors. But, I would like to believe that this success is due in large measure to our school's growing donor base who are truly inspired by the Hebrew Academy's tremendous academic growth, development and unswerving commitment to academic excellence in both Judaic and General Studies.
This reality is exemplified by our school's ongoing commitment to science through our relatively new STEM program, (now in its second year); our new school-wide advanced math track ; "Project English Literacy" designed to ensure that each grade level is reinforcing high quality standards of writing, reading and punctuation; a new and expanded Chesed and Middos program; increased services to students with diverse learning needs and styles; professional growth and development opportunities for our faculty; state-of the-art Gemara instruction via our Gemara Brura program; Chidon student competitions, our annual BrachosBee; our ongoing commitment to "MAP" - a standardized student performance assessment which is administered three time a year; and an amazing cutting-edge Early Childhood Education program which continuously applies best practices and principles to child development,
All of these academic activities are complimented by our exciting physical education program, creative arts classes, amazing reading labs, a nutritious breakfast program; a vibrant Computer Lab; and a nurturing, empathetic and professional cadre of faculty who are passionately committed to the continued emotional, social and academic growth, development and welfare of each and every student on our campus. Finally, the attendance at our recent Parent/Teacher conferences and "Curriculum Night" were at an all time high; and the parental feedback has been extremely positive.
My friends, there is something in the air this year which is creating a very positive vibe at the Hebrew Academy. Parents are engaged, teachers are exhibiting exemplary teaching; students are happy, are learning and are being challenged to reach their full potential....and its only November!. Wow, can you just imagine how things will look in June, Iy"H.
As we know, the success of our school does not take place in a vacuum. Its the result a continuous commitment to excellence and to an exciting, vibrant shared- vision.
Let us hope and pray that as great as the school is today, with HaShem's oversight, we will grow to greater heights in the years to come.
Thank you for helping us Celebrate Educational Excellent. We are only beginning to embark upon this meaningful and exciting Journey.
It seems like yesterday that we just started our school year - as they say ..."time flies when you are experiencing excellence!"
· Advanced Math Instruction for Middle School;
· Specialized group and individualized student counseling programs;
· Structured Sports and Physical Education Program;
· Field trips to Museums, Nature and Science Centers and other places of interest which beautifully compliment classroom learning;
· Differentiated Instruction Coaching for school faculty;
· Established a Department of Student Exceptionalities which leverage and provide services to our diverse students;
· Language Arts Program focused intensively on reading and writing literacy;
· Digital Citizenship Initiative which informs students, teachers and parents regarding best practices in social media use;
· Teacher assessment program which assesses teacher performance and classroom effectiveness;
· "MAP" Testing Protocol which measures academic growth and performance three times a year in Math and Language Arts;
· Teacher Professional Growth and Development Plan for 2018-19 implementation;
· Student discipline protocol which holds students and parents more accountable for student behavior;
· Specialized training for Computer coding and gaming;
· Science Exploration Projects in Elementary School;
· Creative Writing Lab for Middle School which produced our beautiful Literary Magazine; and
· Developed new Homework Policy Guidelines, based upon comprehensive research, analysis and deliberation.
These school initiatives represent but a small array of exciting initiatives at HACS. They are the direct result of a phenomenal faculty; highly skilled in their academic disciplines, passionately committed to cognitive, emotional and social development, our administration’s leadership who continuously promote and encourage educational excellence; and most important, the school-parent partnership - an essential ingredient for effective 21st century day school education.
Last week's horrific shootings at the Stoneman Douglas High School, (only a few short miles from HACS) has shaken the very core of our community's foundation; and, has now become what the media is unfortunately and sadly labeling as "society's new normal".